Touched by ALS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for all who have been touched by this devastating disease.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» ALS Awareness
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:30 pm by MrsAck

» Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:04 pm by MrsAck

» African Animals Getting Drunk From Ripe Marula Fruit
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm by LarryR

» Site options and how to use them
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 pm by MrsAck

» Snake oil salesmen-60 Minutes
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm by MrsAck

» RACISM???? (funny)
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 pm by MrsAck

» FOR ALL THE LADIES I KNOW THAT DRIVE ALONE!
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 pm by MrsAck

» Raising Awareness
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm by MrsAck

» Applying for Social Security Disability
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 pm by MrsAck

Similar topics
Poll
Did you take statins before being diagnosed with ALS?
Yes, but quit when I started having symptoms
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_lcap50%LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Yes, but quit when diagnosed
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_lcap0%LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes, but no longer take them for other reasons
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_lcap0%LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes, still taking them
 0% [ 0 ]
No, never took them
LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_lcap50%LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrsAck

MrsAck

LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT Empty
PostSubject: LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT   LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS  WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm

TUCSON, Ariz., Feb. 7, 2011 — The Muscular Dystrophy Association has awarded a research grant totaling $347,094 over three years to Francois Berthod, a professor in the department of surgery at Laval University in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. The newly awarded funds, effective Feb. 1, 2011, will help support Berthod's study of the disease process in sporadic ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease).

Berthod's is one of 44 new grants reviewed and approved — for a distribution totaling $13.5 million — by MDA's Board of Directors, Dec. 10, 2010, in New York.

"MDA's research program continues to forge ahead, supporting some of the most exciting, cutting-edge research worldwide," said MDA Chairman of the Board R. Rodney Howell. "The projects these new grants support are sure to add a new layer of insight and information atop the strong foundation already formed by more than 50 years of MDA-supported, early-stage research."

About Berthod's research
Berthod, who has a background in tissue engineering, plans to develop a three-dimensional model of the spinal cord using human neural cells obtained from the tissues of ALS patients. The human tissue-engineered spinal cord model (TESC) is expected to mimic the human disease in a laboratory setting, and will permit the testing of combinations of various cell types as a means of determining the conditions that induce or aid motor neuron (nerve cell) death in ALS.

Findings from Berthod's work are expected to improve understanding of the causes and progression of sporadic ALS.

"It's always gratifying to see a new round of grants getting under way," said Valerie Cwik, MDA executive vice president for research and medical director. "With more than 300 MDA-funded investigators working tirelessly in labs around the globe, we're making real gains in the fight against more than 40 different neuromuscular diseases."

To read more about Berthod's research project, visit MDA's online grants showcase at http://www.mda.org/research/gaag/2010/fall. For up-to-date information on all the latest MDA-funded ALS research projects, read http://alsn.mda.org/news/eight-new-grants-bolster-mdas-battle-against-als.
Back to top Go down
https://tbals.forumotion.com

LAVAL UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST WILL STUDY ALS WITH SUPPORT FROM $347,094 MDA GRANT
Page 1 of 1