Touched by ALS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for all who have been touched by this devastating disease.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» ALS Awareness
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:30 pm by MrsAck

» Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:04 pm by MrsAck

» African Animals Getting Drunk From Ripe Marula Fruit
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm by LarryR

» Site options and how to use them
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 pm by MrsAck

» Snake oil salesmen-60 Minutes
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm by MrsAck

» RACISM???? (funny)
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 pm by MrsAck

» FOR ALL THE LADIES I KNOW THAT DRIVE ALONE!
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 pm by MrsAck

» Raising Awareness
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm by MrsAck

» Applying for Social Security Disability
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 pm by MrsAck

Poll
Did you take statins before being diagnosed with ALS?
Yes, but quit when I started having symptoms
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_lcap50%The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Yes, but quit when diagnosed
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_lcap0%The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes, but no longer take them for other reasons
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_lcap0%The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes, still taking them
 0% [ 0 ]
No, never took them
The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_lcap50%The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrsAck

MrsAck

The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval Empty
PostSubject: The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval   The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:36 pm

New therapy that U-M neurologist helped develop will undergo Phase I trial at Emory University

U.S. Food and Drug Administration gave the green light Friday for a clinical trial of a new stem cell treatment for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). University Michigan neurologist, Eva Feldman, M.D., Ph.D., will be the overall principal investigator for the first human clinical trial of a stem cell treatment for ALS, a fatal neurodegenerative disease.

The FDA approved an Investigational New Drug application from Neuralstem, Inc., a Rockville, Md.-based biotech company, to test the safety of a treatment in which patients will receive injections of the company’s patented neural stem cells at multiple sites along the spinal cord.

Director of the U-M ALS Clinic and the Director of the Program for Neurology Research & Discovery, Feldman worked with a team of neurologists and with Neuralstem Inc. to develop the protocol for delivering the stem cells into the spinal cord of patients.

The Phase 1 trial to determine the safety of the treatment is expected to take place exclusively at Emory University in Atlanta, Ga., subject to approval by its Internal Review Board.

“We are very excited about this clinical trial,” said Feldman, the DeJong Professor of Neurology at the U-M Medical School. “This is a major stride forward in what still could be a long road to a new and improved treatment for ALS. more...
Back to top Go down
https://tbals.forumotion.com

The first stem cell trial for ALS treatment wins FDA approval
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Touched by ALS :: Helpful Information :: Links-
Jump to: