Touched by ALS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for all who have been touched by this devastating disease.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» ALS Awareness
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:30 pm by MrsAck

» Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:04 pm by MrsAck

» African Animals Getting Drunk From Ripe Marula Fruit
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm by LarryR

» Site options and how to use them
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 pm by MrsAck

» Snake oil salesmen-60 Minutes
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm by MrsAck

» RACISM???? (funny)
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 pm by MrsAck

» FOR ALL THE LADIES I KNOW THAT DRIVE ALONE!
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 pm by MrsAck

» Raising Awareness
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm by MrsAck

» Applying for Social Security Disability
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 pm by MrsAck

Poll
Did you take statins before being diagnosed with ALS?
Yes, but quit when I started having symptoms
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_lcap50%Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Yes, but quit when diagnosed
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_lcap0%Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes, but no longer take them for other reasons
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_lcap0%Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes, still taking them
 0% [ 0 ]
No, never took them
Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_lcap50%Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrsAck

MrsAck

Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS Empty
PostSubject: Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS   Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:04 pm

By: Lorna Poplak

A study published in the February 2011 edition of the American Journal of Neuroradiology adds to the growing body of pathologic and imaging evidence that there is degeneration of the brain beyond the primary motor area in ALS. A team of researchers from the University of Alberta embarked on the study to assess neurodegeneration in three regions of the brain — the motor cortex, the mid-cingulate cortex (MCC), a region that plays a role in the cognitive control of movements, and the thalamus, a subcortical relay station for both sensory and motor information. The study was conducted in vivo through the use of magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging (MRSI). The researchers hypothesized that the spectroscopic marker of neuronal integrity, N-acetylaspartate, expressed in the study as an N-acetylaspartate/choline (NAA/Cho) ratio, would be reduced in these regions.

MRSI was performed on 14 patients with ALS and 14 healthy controls. The results corroborated previous studies that have shown reduced NAA/Cho in the motor cortex. Where this study broke new ground was in establishing that NAA/Cho was reduced by 14 per cent in the MCC of patients with ALS as compared with the controls. There was, however, no difference in NAA/Cho in the thalamus.

Furthermore, the researchers found specific relationships between the NAA/Cho values of each of the three regions studied in healthy subjects. These relationships were lost in patients with ALS, suggesting that degeneration in these regions is not dependent on the connections between them.

Sanjay Kalra, MD, associate professor of neurology and co-director of the multidisciplinary ALS clinic at the University of Alberta, and the senior author of the study, explains: “If degeneration in a region, say, the mid-cingulate cortex, was linked to the deleterious effects in another, such as the motor cortex, then one would have expected the relationship of NAA/Cho to be retained between these two areas. Because it was not, it is likely that the two regions degenerate independently due to local processes.” He adds that longitudinal studies and studies with other imaging modalities such as diffusion tensor imaging would help to improve our understanding of altered neurochemistry and connectivity between regions in the brain, as well as their significance with regard to degeneration and clinical effects.

For more information, click here
Back to top Go down
https://tbals.forumotion.com

Mid-Cingulate Cortex Degeneration in ALS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Touched by ALS :: Helpful Information :: Research-
Jump to: